TRS Legislative Updates
The 67th session of the Montana Legislature convened on January 4 and adjourned on April 29, 2021. Two bills affecting TRS became law:
- A joint resolution (HJ 8) requires an interim committee to conduct a review of the financial stability and governance of Montana's defined benefit pensions with involvement from the retirement boards and other stakeholders.
- A "housekeeping bill" (HB 88) implemented minor changes and clarifications to TRS law. We thank Rep. Marta Bertoglio of Clancy for sponsoring this bill on our behalf.
For more information about these bills (and others that did not pass the Legislature), read the 2021 Legislative Update document (pdf).
Signing ceremony for HB 88
(Front row, L-R) Supt. of Public Instruction Elsie Arntzen; Gov. Greg Gianforte; Rep. Marta Bertoglio (HD 75)
(Back row, L-R) TRS Executive Director Shawn Graham; Rep. Wendy McKamey (HD 19); Rep. David Bedey (HD 86)
TRS Legislative News Archives
Two bills passed by the 66th Montana Legislature resulted in minor changes and clarifications to TRS law. These and other bills are summarized in the following documents:
Four bills affecting TRS were passed by the 65th Montana Legislature and are described in the documents below:
Three bills affecting TRS are summarized in the documents below:
The 63rd Montana Legislature enacted significant changes to TRS, and a bill passed in the 2009 session also took effect in 2013. See summaries and related news items below:
- 2013 Legislative Update (pdf)
- TRS Horizons member newsletter – legislative issue (May 2013) (pdf)
- News item: Bond agency praises Montana pension fix bills (May 20, 2013)
- News item: Montana Public Retirement Plans post big returns (Feb 2, 2014)
- 2011 Legislative Update (pdf)
- 2009 Legislative Update (pdf)
- 2005 Legislative Update (pdf)
Subscribe to the TRS newsletter